The statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. These products are not alternatives to medical care. The contents of this website are not medical advice & are intended for general knowledge & information only.
Want something easy that will still WOW your taste buds? Look no further! These shrimp tacos cover all of the flavor bases and won’t have you slaving away in the kitchen for hours. Not only are they great-tasting, but they are also good for you! And if you are wanting to add an extra health kick, I have an optional ingredient that blends well, adds a pop of color, and is great for you!
Begin by peeling and seasoning the shrimp.
Just throw everything in one bowl and mix.
Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a good, non-stick skillet and get it hot! Throw in your shrimp and stir pretty consistently, pausing for a few seconds to allow the shrimp to cook and color up.
These shrimp were “medium”, however to me they were small bite-sized so they cooked quickly on high heat- approximately 5 minutes.
Place in a bowl set aside.
Begin by lightly sautéing diced tomatoes and onions in 1 tsp of oil on high. In order to not have the tomatoes break down completely, add the onion first (2 minutes) and then add the tomatoes (2 more minutes).
Place this mix in a strainer to allow any excess oil to drip out (there won’t be much).
Shred your cabbage and chop your cilantro. If you have red cabbage on hand, this makes a great addition for color and nutritional benefits as well.
Add your tomatoes & onions, 2 juicy limes, and salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste.
Shred some raw beets! Trust me, you’ve got to try it at least once, It is going to conceal well later on.
In a separate bowl combine 3 heaping TBSP of plain greek yogurt with some salt and cumin along with 1 tsp of the sauce that the canned adobo chiles sit in.
Don’t worry, you will probably grab some of the onions that are in there and that is ok; just avoid adding the whole chilis. This adds a hint of spice and a good balance of smoky flavor to the sauce.
Let’s Make Shrimp Tacos!
I like to use 2 corn tortillas per taco. After heating my tortillas I layer as follows:
- A spoonful of sauce.
- Shredded beets (Optional but hidden)
- Cabbage mix
And there you go! A dinner that will satisfy your appetite and your body will thank you for!
Shrimp Tacos with a Twist
- 12 oz shrimp (medium)
- 1/2 cabbage
- 1 bunch cilantro (small)
- 1 red onion (small)
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 beet
- 2-3 limes
- 3 Tbsp plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp adobo chile sauce (from chili pepper can)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp parsley 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp + extra salt
- Prepare shrimp by peeling and removing the tail.
- In bowl combine shrimp, turmeric, garlic powder, pepper, paprika, parsley, ginger, & 1/2 tsp salt.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil on high.
- Add shrimp & cook for 5 minutes, or until done.
- Remove & set aside.
- In a hot skillet heat 1 tsp of oil on high.
- Cut onion in half and slice & dice tomatoes.
- Sauté onions for 2 minutes (constantly stirring).
- Add tomatoes & cook for additional 2 minutes (constantly stirring).
- Remove & set aside.
- Shred cabbage & chop cilantro.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, cilantro, onions & tomatoes.
- Add the juice of 2 limes and salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste.
- Set aside.
- *OPTIONAL* Shred 1/2 of raw beet and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine greek yogurt, adobo chili sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, juice of 1/2 lime, & cumin.
- Heat tortillas (I like to double up- 2 tortillas per taco).
- Layer_ Tortillas, a spoonful of sauce, shrimp, beets, cabbage mix.
- Serve your shrimp tacos with extra lime & enjoy!